top of page

Legal Help

Legal Services of

Northern California




Legal Services of Northern California, Shasta Regional Office provides free civil legal assistance on a variety of issues to income eligible individuals and seniors living in Shasta, Lassen, Modoc, Siskiyou, Tehama and Trinity County. Legal services cover the following types of cases:

  • Economic stability, including income maintenance and benefits programs: Social Security/SSDI/SSI (no assistance for initial application), IHSS, unemployment, and public assistance like General Assistance, CalWORKS, CalFresh, or homeless assistance

  • Housing preservation, including: evictions, unsafe or uninhabitable housing, foreclosures (help for home owners and renters), HUD and subsidized housing program assistance

  • Disability rights

  • Probate Guardianship – grandparents raising grandchildren

  • Health-related issues: problems with Medi-Cal, Medicare, Covered California, private insurance, or questions about health rights

  • Senior issues – estate planning assistance (advanced health care directive, power of attorney, will, etc.), elder abuse; Adults ages 60 and up in Tehama County are requested to call Passages at 800-822-0109

  • Disaster survivors - denial of FEMA, property damage, impact on job, housing situation

  • For problems regarding retirement programs like 401ks, pensions, and defined benefit plans, call Western States Pension Assistance Project at 866-413-4911

Hosts community legal education workshops and clinics to promote awareness of legal rights. Provides referrals to community partners.

Services NOT provided include: Family law, criminal defense, traffic fines or violations, bankruptcy, small claims, and immigration.


Open to all ages; priority to those with low income and seniors; call for income guidelines

Child Support Services

Information -

Cal Dept of CCS

Program Phone:



Provides information on state services related to custodial and noncustodial parents. Services include:

  • Child support case information

  • Private child support orders

  • Information on local child support agency


Open to all California residents

Protective Restraining

Orders -

Siskiyou County 

Sheriff's Office



Assists the public with service of process (formally delivering legal documents). Serves all cities in Siskiyou County, including unincorporated areas.


Open to Siskiyou County residents

bottom of page